JOB TITLE: Fact Checkers
LOCATION: Lagos, Nigeria
START DATE: October 2023
APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 20, 2023
The International Press Centre (IPC), Lagos-Nigeria calls for applications from fact-checkers to undertake a fact-checking and information integrity project scheduled to begin in October 2023. The project aims to strengthen national capacities to prevent and mitigate threats to the integrity of information through a verification mechanism that identifies false information, prevents and mitigate its spread. The fack-checking activity and other related activity component, is supported by the UNDP.
Under the project, a 3-member fact-checking team shall be tasked with the primary responsibility of monitoring, researching, generating fact checked reports and reporting cases of misinformation/ disinformation concentrating on a range of electoral and democratic governance issues, including the upcoming gubernatorial elections.
Applicants who have previous work experience are encouraged to apply, however, training would be provided prior to the role commencement.
The ideal candidates would be expected to work under the supervision of the project leadership. The candidates will also be expected to work with other members of the project team and report to the editorial supervisor carrying out the following roles:
• Monitor the news and generate fact-checked reports to keep the fact checking website active and relevant
• Research and evaluate election-related sources, cross-referencing information to ensure the accuracy of the details.
• Verify the accuracy of electoral-related contents and information across a variety of written materials such as news articles, social media and other publications
• Source reliable and accurate data on the elections and processes from a variety of sources
• Analyse trends and patterns in election-related data
• Evaluate the reliability of election-related facts and figures
• Identify trends, inconsistencies and discrepancies in election-related data
• Provide recommendations for improvement
• Ensure fact checked content is accurate and up-to-date
• Proficiency in English language
• Strong research, analytical and IT skills
• Strong report writing skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office
• Ability to work with a team and independently
• High level of accuracy
• Ability to verify information quickly
• Ability to interpret and analyse data
• Strong attention to detail
• Strong writing and communication skills
• Ability to work to tight deadlines
Candidates should possess a minimum of HND/bachelor’s degree.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates who meet the job requirements should send their CV and Cover Letter demonstrating how they meet the job specifications to email@example.com.
Deadline for application submissions is Wednesday, September 20, 2023.
Sequel to the review of applications received shortlisted applicants will be contacted.