Project Start Date: January 1, 2014
Project End Date: June 4, 2018
The Strengthening Citizens Engagement in Electoral Processes (SCEEP) being implemented in Lagos by the IPC, in 18 communities in six Local Government Areas (LGAs): Shomolu, Lagos Mainland, Ikorodu, Surulere, Ifako Ijaiye and Amuwo Odofin respectively, is to deepen democratic governance in Nigeria.
It is being implemented between 2014-2018 under an election and democratic governance project implemented across ten (10) States by ACTIONAID Nigeria, and funded by UKAID through The Department for International Development (DFID).
The goal of the project is to strengthen citizens’ engagement with the electoral process and deepen democratic governance in Nigeria.
- To support citizens, especially women, youth and persons living with disability to participate in and influence electoral process.
- To promote the emergence of a politically better informed electorate.
- To promote inclusiveness in the Nigerian electoral system.
Outline of core activities implemented by IPC under the project includes:
- LGA Citizens Orientation meeting for community representatives on inclusive participation in the electoral process.
- Voter sensitization and distribution of IEC materials to mapped community group levels
- Voter sensitization and distribution of IEC materials on elections to DISABILTY NETWORKS in Lagos
- LGA Citizens & political candidates parley in 6 LGs of Lagos
- State-level Stakeholders parley on violence free & credible elections in Lagos.
- Facilitation of the production of Village book (Community development Charters -CDC) for SCEEP communities as tools for engendering development aspritaions.
- State town hall meeting on engendering the participation of women, Youths and Persons with disabilities in Lagos LGA elections.
- Advocacy training for community leaders on effective engagement with duty bearers.
- Budget literacy training for SCEEP community members.
- Engagement of youths, women and PWDs platforms on participation in the electoral process.
- Forums with women and youths platforms on inclusive participation.
- Facilitation of women, youths, PWDs and citizens groups on Continuous Voter Education CVR)
- Media, communications and leadership training on effective engagement on governance and electoral issues.
- Capacity building and support to women, youths and PWDs platforms on inclusive participation in the electoral process
- Development and administration of Voter Education manuals