Call for ENTRIES
Freedom of Information (FOI) National Essay Competition
Theme: Deepening democracy, the Impact of FOI Act ten years after
The International Press Centre (IPC) and Media Rights Agenda (MRA) hereby invite entries for their 2021 National Freedom of Information Essay Competition for mass communication and journalism undergraduates of Nigerian tertiary institutions.
The topic of the essay is “Deepening democracy, the Impact of FOI Act ten years after.”
The competition, which is part of activities to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the signing of the Freedom of Information Bill into Law by President Goodluck Jonathan in 2011, is organized with support from the European Union through component 4b: Support to Media of the European Union Support to Democratic Governance in Nigeria (EU-SDGN) Project.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA AND GUIDELINES FOR THE COMPETITION
- Entries will only be accepted from undergraduate students of Mass Communication or Journalism of any tertiary institution in Nigeria, public or private, and must be accompanied by a fully legible copy of the Student’s Identity Card of the person submitting the entry.
- All entries should include the full names of the student, the name and address of the university as well as the student’s course of study and department.
- It should also contain the student’s telephone number and email address as well as the student’s Matriculation Number.
- All entries should be between 800 and 1,000 words in length and should be type-written on Microsoft Word using Times New Roman font, 14 points.
- Each entry will be judged on compliance with these technical specifications as well as on the richness of content, the quality of the spelling and grammar, the logic in the structure of presentation and how compelling the arguments are.
- All entries will be checked for plagiarism and originality.
- Any entry found to have plagiarized another person’s work will be disqualified.
SUBMISSION OF ENTRIES
Entries should be sent by email to: email@example.com with “National Freedom of Information Essay Competition” on the Subject line.
The extended deadline for the submission of entries is October 31, 2021. Entries must be received no later than 12.00 midnight (WAT) on that date.
- All entries received will be assessed by a panel of independent judges. Prizes will be awarded to the winning entry and the First Runner-Up.
- All entries received for the competition would be rewarded with a set of publications by the two organizations even if their entries are not selected for the ultimate prize.
- The Winner and First Runner-Up will be invited to an award ceremony, which will take place in Abuja on Friday, December 10, 2021.
For enquiries or further information, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org