Africa Check, the continent’s first independent fact-checking website, founded in 2012, is seeking a full-time Nigeria Editor to join our growing team: bringing the work we now do in South Africa, Kenya and Senegal to the continent’s most populous country.
People across the continent make decisions every day on the best evidence available to them. Often that information is misleading or just plain wrong. Our award-winning reports are published on our site and republished in wider media, revealing the truth behind the claims and keeping politicians honest. In addition to our online reports, we also run a regular fact-checking programme on radio in South Africa, and will launch this in Senegal later this month.
We also operate training programmes and awards schemes across the continent, and are reaching out to communities via a new outreach programme.
Africa Check’s Johannesburg team earlier this year. We also have an office in Dakar, Senegal, and are opening offices in Lagos and Nairobi.
Nigeria Editor – The job description
Identifying important claims in public debate to be fact-checked. Writing reports and commissioning researchers. Editing these reports to ensure that they are error-free and easy to read. Writing headlines and taking ultimate responsibility for the accuracy of the work you put out.
Please apply if you:
- Have a well-honed nonsense detector,
- At least 10 years’ experience of reporting news from Nigeria or abroad, for top quality media,
- Are politically non-partisan,
- Have a sound understanding of numbers and at least a bachelor’s degree in an applicable study field,
- Can write accurate click bait,
- Have been compared to Steve Jobs in the perfection you expect of subordinates,
- Are willing to put your pinky on the chopping board that each report you publish is faultless.
- Several years’ experience of editing for a high-quality news organisation
- The ability to talk sensibly on television and radio,
What we offer:
- A competitive salary,
- A one-year renewable contract, based in Lagos or Abuja,
- Lots of opportunity for learning and growth,
Send a CV and cover letter explaining why you would be perfect for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday 22 September. Also suggest a claim in the news that should be checked.